What makes us Tick, Tok, and Think the way we do?
Unpacking the Science Behind Attitudes to Current Events
Are you curious about what your friends think about current events? Would you like to know how your peers decide when to take risks, and when to play it safe? In this Teen Research Program you will learn how to think like a scientist, design a research study, and answer your own questions about your friends’ attitudes toward COVID-19. We will look at the results of a study on COVID attitudes and social distancing behaviors in our communities, and then you will get to design your own study, based on your original questions. You will gain skills in scientific reasoning, experimental design, psychology, and data analysis that you can apply to answering your questions in the future about many topics, from protesting for Black Lives Matter to the presidential or local elections.
This program is based on a Big Ideas course at UC Berkeley developed by Nobel Laureate Saul Perlmutter, who will make a guest appearance. This high school program takes place Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. during Thanksgiving week (Nov. 23–25) and is open to teens in grades 10–12. Join us in making sense of the risks, dilemmas, and questions that face us all during a pandemic, adding valuable experience to your college application!
What You Will Need at Home:
- A laptop, stable internet connection, and zoom account
- A pen, pencil, and scratch paper
Member: $195 / Non-Member: $230
Need-based scholarships are available, please contact Sue Guevara at email@example.com.
- Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 11/23–11/25, 10:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m. PST - Registration Now Closed
If you have more questions about how our online programs work, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Here are a few important things you should know:
Programs take place online, so you will need a computer or laptop with a working video camera, stable Internet, and Zoom. The University of California now requires all participants in a UC program to sign in to a Zoom account. You may use your existing Zoom account, or you can set up a free account here.
Prices include all materials, which will be shipped directly to you. A package from The Lawrence will arrive via UPS a week in advance of the start date. A limited number of items that you typically have at home will be required and noted for specific programs. Adult support may be needed for setup, and some materials must be gathered under adult supervision as they may be hazardous to younger siblings.
You will be invited to a 15-minute online orientation with both staff and all registered participants before the start date.
The University of California is committed to providing an electronic environment that is accessible to everyone, including individuals with disabilities. Contact the Registration Office at least 7 days before the start of the program if you need to arrange accommodations.
Please see our FAQ section for more information on our Online Camps and Classes.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What does the online program look like? How is it different than in-person programs?
A: Our online programs bring many of the key elements of in-person instruction to the virtual learning world: staff engagement, attention, a low staff ratio, serious science, hands-on fun, and engagement with other participants.
Q: Who are the online instructors?
A: The online instructors are museum educators from The Lawrence. We maintain a low staff ratio of 1:6, which encourages engagement from participants.
Q: My child’s needs are unique. How do I communicate that with the staff in advance?
A: If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Joanna, Director of Camp and Youth Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: The program starts next week. What should I do if we still have not received the material box from The Lawrence?
A: Make sure your shipping address is the same as the one you entered when completing registration. Our shipping timeline ensures that the materials box should arrive by one week (7 days) before your program. If you have not received materials by the end of the day 1 week before your program, please contact us and we will work with you to remedy the situation.
Q: How will we know if all the materials have arrived?
A: When you open the materials box, please review its enclosed packing list to make sure that all the contents are present. If something is missing or arrives broken, please let us know by the Monday before your program, and we will work with you to ensure that you have what you need.
Q: How do I go about collecting the items that are not shipped in the materials box from The Lawrence?
A: Please refer to the corresponding program description, as each program is different.
Q: Will my child need help handling the materials?
A: While all programs are designed to be age-appropriate, some programs may require limited help from an adult to check the packing list and to help set up materials. Please note that children younger than the age range of the program should never handle program materials. Parents are required to be onsite while children are participating in the program. If you still have questions regarding program materials, please email email@example.com.
Q: How do I register for this program?
To register for Online Camps and Classes, go to our Registration page.
- If you purchased our Online Summer Discovery Camps this year, you already have an account. Use the email associated with your account and the password you created.
- If you are a Member and this is the first time you have logged into our new system, use the email associated with your membership and click on “Reset Password.” If you don’t remember the email you gave us when you joined, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know the email you gave us. Please do not create a new account!
- If you are not a Member and have not purchased anything from us this year, please create a new account.
- During the registration process we will ask for the email address that will be used to login to a REGISTERED ZOOM ACCOUNT, which is required in order to participate in our classes. We will use this same email address for communicating with you about Online Camps and Classes. This must be the email address of a parent/guardian/adult, and not of the participant (child). We will not communicate with minors directly. Note: UC Berkeley now requires all participants in a program to sign in to a Zoom account. You may use your existing Zoom account or you can set up a free account here.
- During the registration process, we will ask for an address to be used for shipping the class materials. It does not need to be the same as the address on your account. Please make sure the address you provide is where you want the materials shipped.
- If you have any questions related to program registration, please email: email@example.com.
Q: Can I cancel or transfer a program I am already registered for?
- All programs are nonrefundable after November 9 at 5:00 p.m. If you cancel before that time, you will receive a refund of fees minus a $25 administrative fee.
- You may transfer to another session before November 9 at 5:00 p.m. if space is available. Transfers will incur a $25 transfer fee.
- If you are unable to attend the program after the cancellation deadline, the materials are yours to keep, but unfortunately there will be no refund.
Q: Can more than one participant sit at the computer?
A: Each participant must be registered, paid for, and signed off with waivers even if at a single site. We welcome multiple participants per household, and each registrant will receive their own materials kit.
Q: I am a Member of The Lawrence, so why am I not seeing the Member’s price?
A: If you have a current membership, please be sure to log in using the email associated with your membership. If you are not sure which email address is affiliated with your membership or if your membership is current, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To purchase or renew a membership, please go here.
Q: What if I have other questions related to registering for programs that are not addressed here?
A: If you still have any other questions related to registration, please email: email@example.com
Q: What is Zoom and how does it work?
A: For those unfamiliar with Zoom, the following links may be helpful:
Please remember to use the email address you provided during registration to log onto Zoom. Our programs also require the use of a password for extra security. If you have any other issues, please send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we will be happy to help.
Q: I have not received any of my Zoom link information for programs.
A: Make sure you are checking the same email account you used to register. Also check your spam folder. If you still can't find the information, send us an email at email@example.com and we will send another email with the Zoom link information.
Q: Do we use the same link that we used for the "meet & greet" last week? Also, can we get the correct Zoom link for today?
A: There will be only one link for the entire program. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having trouble with the link, including program details: name of child, program day, hour, and title.