Discover the Forces That Shape the Bay!
Step into our interactive, outdoor science park to learn how water erosion, earthquakes, weather, and other geologic forces have worked together to create the Bay Area landscape.
Control the water flow from the simulated Sierra Nevada, roll up your sleeves at our hands-on erosion tables, and check out the panoramic view to learn about the unique location of the Farallon Islands on Earth’s tectonic plates.
Make sure to stop by the telescope station before you leave, to enjoy a closer look at the San Francisco Bay Area.
Explore Forces That Shape the Bay:
- Set erosion in motion at our hands-on erosion tables.
- Scope out the Bay with our powerful telescopes.
- Control the water flow from the simulated Sierra Nevada.
- See how the San Francisco Bay has developed in 10,000 years.
- Look more closely at all kinds of rock with our exhibit rock guide.
- Explore our native plant collection.
Forces That Shape the Bay was made possible with support from the National Science Foundation and a generous gift from the UC Berkeley Class of 1948.