The Lawrence Hall of Science
The public science center of the University of California, Berkeley.
10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
On a visit to The Lawrence, students collaborate to investigate new ideas as they become scientists and engineers for a day.
We partner with school districts to support science learning. We offer district-wide elementary, middle, and high school programs, either virtually or in-person.
We collaborate with a range of partners to innovate in science education. Together, we go further.
1. Ancient Sun Observations: How did ancient civilizations study the Sun?
2. Cook with a Solar Oven: Can you cook using the Sun?
3. Make a Prism: What colors of light come from the Sun?
4. Measure the Sun’s Size: How can you measure the Sun’s real size?
5. Spot the Sunspots: Can you spot the sunspots?
6. Make a UV Detector: How can a clear liquid glow blue in sunlight?
1. Big Sun, Small Moon? Why do the Sun and Moon look like they’re the same size in the sky?
2. Detect Solar Storms: How can you detect solar storms from here on Earth?
3. Hot Equator, Cold Poles: Why is Ecuador so hot and Antarctica so cold?
4. Model the Sun & Earth: How big is the Sun compared with Earth?
5. Solar Convection: What causes solar granules on the Sun?
6. Solar Flare Flip Book: What does the Sun look like over time?
7. Sun Cookies: Can you make a model of the Sun that’s good enough to eat?
The DIY Sun Science app allows families and educators to investigate and learn about the Sun at home, at school, or anywhere you go! The app provides 13 free, easy to use, hands-on activities, plus images, videos, and much more! Each activity includes material lists, step-by-step instructions, and detailed explanations. The activity materials are widely available and inexpensive, and you probably have many of them in your own home. The free app is available for iPhone and iPads with iOS 6.1.3 and above.
Requirements: iPhone or iPad iOS 7+
DIY Lake Science
DIY Lake Science includes a dozen easy to use, hands-on activities to learn about freshwater ecosystems.
DIY Nano & DIY Nano HD
Space Chef is a fast-paced action game designed to provide the starting point needed to build healthy meals using simple, readily available, and nutritious ingredients.
DIY Human Body
The DIY Human Body app allows families and educators to investigate and learn about the human body.
This work was supported by NASA under award number NNX10AE05G. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in these programs are those of the author and do not reflect the views of NASA.
Learn more about supporting The Lawrence
View DIY Sun Science Technical Support. If you have any technical support issues with the app or have any suggestions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apple, the Apple logo, and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.