Title: Planetarium Presenter
Pay Rate: $15.25
Classification: Assistant II
Work Hours: Eight hours per week, Tuesday–Sunday, including one weekend day (closed Monday)
How to Apply: UC students should send a resume and cover letter to John Erickson.
The Planetarium at The Lawrence Hall of Science, an internationally renowned leader in innovative, hands-on science presentations, seeks teachers for our public programs. Programs are primarily intended for children in elementary and middle school, but are open to all ages. This is a perfect job for a college student who is interested in science, and wants to work with children! Programs are presented Tuesday–Sunday during the school semester and on holidays. Daily programs are offered during winter, spring, and summer breaks.
This is an excellent position for an individual seeking science, education, public relations or museum-related experience.
*During the week, there is a free eight-minute shuttle ride from Hearst Mining Circle. On the weekends, the #65 bus is the only public transportation available and runs hourly every day from the downtown Berkeley BART station to the Hall. For more information, please visit Bay Area Traveler Guide at 511 or call "511" from any local area code to ask about AC Transit.
- Must be a currently registered UC Berkeley student with an analytical, science-oriented mind and outgoing enthusiastic personality with excellent communication skills to present fun, hands-on, science workshops to the public. Professional attire and demeanor necessary for working with school-aged children.
- Availability to work a minimum of 8 hrs per week Tuesday–Sunday, including 1 weekend day (closed Monday)
- Must be reliable, punctual, responsible, and well-organized.
- Experience working with children preferred.
- Experience in public speaking and an astronomy/science background is preferred.
- Theater/improvisational skills are a plus.
- Summer Break: Must be available to work at least 4 weeks (don’t have to be consecutive) during UC Berkeley summer break.
- Must be reliable and keep to assigned schedule.
Criminal Background Check:
This position has been designated as sensitive and will require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct
If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf