The application period for the Teen Volunteer Program is now closed for 2017. We had over 200 applicants for 150 spaces! Please check back in February 2018 for next year’s opportunities.
The Lawrence Hall of Science has a fun and dynamic program for teens. All teens enter the program in May, volunteering on the exhibit floor for the summer or throughout the year. This is a great way for teens to fulfill community service requirements, gain job skills, and learn about communicating science to the public. Volunteering here will give teens great experience in public speaking, education, customer service, and general job skills. Volunteers will work with Hall staff, UC Berkeley college interns, and other teens from all around the Bay Area.
Teen applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Able to attend the Teen Orientation on April 7, 2018
- Entering 9th grade or above
- Able to work an average of one four-hour shift per week (June–August)
- Able to show interest in topics related to science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Committed to working with our visitors, some of whom are families with children
- Volunteer work will include:
- Facilitating hands-on engineering activities in Design Quest, our featured experience, or in the Ingenuity Lab, an engineering design space, or assisting our staff in supporting summer camp-related activities.
- Assisting staff in delivery of Summer Science Fun Days, our themed summer activities.
- Providing enthusiastic, quality customer service.
Summer 2017 Recruitment
The application period for the Teen Volunteer Program is closed for 2017. Please check back in February 2018 for next year’s opportunities.
Share your enthusiasm for science and spark the imagination of visiting families and schoolchildren.
- Help kids and families with hands-on science activities at our many special events
- Deliver demonstrations on our state-of-the-art Science On a Sphere (SOS)®*
- Work with families in our Ingenuity Lab* and Animal Discovery Room*
- During the school year, assist our instructors in our school classes and outreach*
- Be an ambassador of our center and programs out in the community or here at the Hall
- Weekday or weekend shifts are available
Adults (18+) can apply by submitting this application.
Our next adult volunteer orientation will be on Saturday, March 25, from 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. Sign up today to attend!
The Volunteer Orientation is a three-hour event that allows new volunteers to hear about the Hall programs, mission and different volunteer opportunities. It provides new volunteers with a chance to learn about the benefits and/or challenges of volunteering for the Hall.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Receive a 20% discount at the Discovery Corner Toy and Book Store
- Earn an Family museum membership after 100 hours of service
- Visit the Lawrence Hall of Science without paying general admission or show fees
- Know that you helped excite a child’s desire to learn math and science
What is the Commitment?
- Available 3–6 hours per month for a minimum of 60 hours (*core opportunities require 2 shifts and 6 hours per month)
- Access to email communication
- Regular and active participation in volunteer shifts and activities
- Complete all forms required and comply with volunteer processes described in the Adult Volunteer Handbook and Teen Volunteer Handbook