The application period for the Teen Volunteer Program for 2017 is now open!
The Lawrence Hall of Science has a fun and dynamic program for teens. All teens are required to apply to the program in February, volunteering in various roles during the summer. Teens get to assist in summer camps, in our Ingenuity Lab, or facilitating experiences on the floor and at special events. Volunteering at the Hall is not only a great way to fulfill community service requirements, but it also provides teens with the opportunity to develop job skills. Skills include public speaking and customer service, self confidence and leadership, adaptability and flexibility to manage multiple assignments under changing conditions, learning about communicating science to the public, building interpersonal relationships, and the ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work. At the Hall, volunteers find a safe way and a place to socialize with other youth and enjoy the benefits of experiencing a work-related environment with Hall staff, UC Berkeley college interns, and other teens from all around the Bay Area.
Teen applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Able to attend the Mandatory Teen Orientation on Saturday, April 1, 2017 from 10:00 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- Entering 9th grade or above
- Able to work an average of one four-hour shift per week (June–August)
- Able to attend a training in a designated area
- Able to show interest in topics related to science, technology, engineering, or mathematics
- Committed to working with our visitors, some of whom are families with children
- Complete all forms required and comply with volunteer processes described on your Teen Volunteer Handbook
- If you want to be considered for our summer program, you are entering 9th grade or above, and you are not a current teen or teen intern volunteer at the Hall, apply today by submitting this application. We only have 100 spaces available! Please note that recruitment will close March 1, 2017 and we will not be accepting more applications.
- Check your email inbox. Accepted candidates will be notified on April 5 by email, using the email indicated on your application
- Submit all documents provided during the orientation by May 9, 2017. There will be no exceptions after the deadline and all documents must be submitted
- Sign up for a training after your volunteer coordinator has assigned you to a specific area.
Share your enthusiasm for science and spark the imagination of visiting families and schoolchildren.
- Help kids and families with hands-on science activities at our many special events
- Deliver demonstrations on our state-of-the-art Science On a Sphere (SOS)®*
- Work with families in our Ingenuity Lab* and Animal Discovery Room*
- During the school year, assist our instructors in our school classes and outreach*
- Be an ambassador of our center and programs out in the community or here at the Hall
- Weekday or weekend shifts are available
Adults (18+) can apply by submitting this application.
Our next adult volunteer orientation will be on Saturday, February 25, from 10:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m. Sign up today to attend!
The Volunteer Orientation is a three-hour event that allows new volunteers to hear about the Hall programs, mission and different volunteer opportunities. It provides new volunteers with a chance to learn about the benefits and/or challenges of volunteering for the Hall.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Receive a 20% discount at the Discovery Corner Toy and Book Store
- Earn an Family museum membership after 100 hours of service
- Visit the Lawrence Hall of Science without paying general admission or show fees
- Know that you helped excite a child’s desire to learn math and science
What is the Commitment?
- Available 3–6 hours per month for a minimum of 60 hours (*core opportunities require 2 shifts and 6 hours per month)
- Access to email communication
- Regular and active participation in volunteer shifts and activities
- Complete all forms required and comply with volunteer processes described in the Adult Volunteer Handbook and Teen Volunteer Handbook