The deadline for submitting applications has passed. Please try again next year!
The Lawrence Hall of Science has a fun and dynamic program for teens. All teens enter the program in the May, volunteering on the exhibit floor for the summer. This is a great way for teens to fulfill community service requirements, get job skills, and learn about communicating science to the public. Volunteering here will give you skills in public speaking, education, customer service and general job skills to name a few. Volunteers will work with Hall staff, UC Berkeley college interns and other teens from all around the Bay Area. After volunteering for the summer, teens may apply to become an Intern during the school year. .
Applications for summer 2014 are available now and are due April 18. We will be accepting 100 applicants for the summer volunteer program. If more than 100 applications are received, which is highly likely, then we will hold a random lottery for applicants after April 18. All applicants will be notified of their status by April 23 and those selected for the volunteer program will need to accept the position by April 25.
Applicants must be:
- Entering 9th grade or above.
- Able to work an average of one shift per week (June–August).
- Able to show interest in topics related to science, technology, engineering, or mathematics.
- Committed to working with our visitors that include families with children.
- Available to attend a mandatory two-hour orientation on Saturday, May 17, 10:00a.m. - 12:00p.m.
Volunteer work will include:
- Facilitating hands on engineering activities in our Ingenuity Studio, an engineering design space.
- Leading "Bug Hunts" with visitors in our outdoor science park.
- Engaging visitors in insect activites.
- Assisting staff in delivery of Summer Science Fun Days, our themed Wednesday activities.
- Providing quality customer service.
More information will be given once you are selected and attend the orientation. If you have questions about the application process or the program, please email our Teen Volunteer office.